This review was written as a first impression almost 6 months ago and then promptly forgotten about and never published. I have decided to only edit it in general and publish it because I honestly still haven't played a single game of anything in the past year never mind the past 6 months. Which on another note is something I hope to change this year. It also is just a nice splurge of things that interest me or I like in general about the rules.
So here are the things I caught my interest or I liked about the Deadzone rule set/boxed game.
-The diagrams in the book overall are well done
-cover, you either are in cover or not, no middle ground and cover is determined for the whole cube not model to model.
- has a similar exploding die mechanic to Spartan games stuff but is also different enough to make it interesting., there is also a double and triple mechanic for successes.
- straight up equal or beat the needed score for dice rolls
-Scatter is based on the rollers point of view
- multi level terrain and rules for dealing with things like falling
- LOS has two types point and area. Point is like 40k TLOS and area is just being able to see into the cube.
- Weapon range and movement are based on the cube format.
- the states of models are undamaged, injured and dead.
-deployment- deployment is done via the card mechanic
-winning, 10 vp, kill everyone, time out with card mechanic and of course concede.
- has built in stuff for doing campaigns
-Vp are determined by using the card mechanic to get your Missions
- the terrain is great just wish there was more in the box
What I don't like or fancy
- Some of the models are just hideous
-some models in the book still can not be bought
-these next couple are more of design problem in some ways
-no quick reference sheet
-no contents sheet for the boxed game or instructions for minis ( have to figure it out based on whats on the box which is annoying)
Now these two problems to be far are not as much of a problem for seasoned wargamers but it does cause problems for people who bought it on a whim or using it as a gateway to other games.
Overall I like it though and cant wait to assemble and play some games.